We’re having some big upheaval at the Casa de Scribbler. A job that the Auditor applied for many months ago has randomly called him for an interview today (via phone).
The job is a significant increase in salary. It has better and less expensive benefits. It offers a pension. It’s also in another state.
We’ve been actively trying to leave this island since we got here. The plan was always to get the Auditor some solid big city expereince in public audit, then move into the private sector. We sacrificed a lot those first few years– he worked long hours, sometimes seven days a week. We often went days on end without even seeing each other. And when he traveled, it was often for weeks to a month at a time.
Then we adopted the Little Scribbler. He couldnt stand to be apart from her for those long stretches, so he moved into the private sector, but with an international company. He completed a certification and added international experience to his resume.
That was almost three years ago. Since then, we’ve been actively trying to secure employment in a less expensive area, possibly in another state. The big goal, the ultimate achievement, would have been a job with a pension. The Auditor didnt begin his career until age 31, and as such, we’re behind in reitrement savings by about 10 years. Every year we live on Long Island is THREE years longer he has to work before we can retire. Every year we live here is another year we rent, because a 20% downpayment on even a modest home here (which by the way starts around $350K and only goes up from there!) would completely liquidate our paltry 401K. And the taxes on said modest home would send us into financial ruin.
And here it is. The job. The job with no travel. The job with all the benefits. The job with the pension. Closer to extended family. In an area we could afford to be homeowners.
And I dont want to leave. Can you believe it?! I got dragged to this island kicking and screaming. I’ve stayed here these past five years investing MUCH free time and energy into moving elsewhere. And yet…
We finally have the faint, paper-thin, fibers of ROOTS being put down here. We finally know people. We’ve finally found a parish we can both live with and be happy in. We’ve worked out all Little Scribbler’s issues here, and found her the appriate help and schooling, (a feat I am TERRIFIED to start from scratch in a brand new state!).
Just because we get a first round interview doesnt mean we’re going to get a job offer. The Auditor may not even have the appropriate experience for the position. That’s happened to us several time before, especially when applying for government employment. The job has been looking for one, very specific, criteron, which his experience didn’t meet. Some jobs we’ve been offered we’ve had to turn down. One was in the healthcare industry and the company offered a “community birth control program” (read: free abortions), so that one was out. Another was in Las Vegas (WHY exactly did he apply for that one again!?). Several have had inapproriate benefits or salary for the geographic location. Another one was in Manhattan (automatically out– we are NOT commuter people).
This one meets all the basic criteria we had, PLUS a little. The only drawbacks are starting the school process over for LS, and that I dont want to leave this place. Believe it or not, it’s starting to grow on me, despite the traffic, despite the ridiculously inflated cost of even such basic necessities as shampoo, despite the fact that this state is a GREAT BIG BLUE ONE. I’m comfortable here. We’ve been here so long that we’ve finally started to reach out and join things, meet people, form the tentative structure of a support system.
It’s up to God. If we get an offer, we’ll have to take it. And I’ll have mixed emotions about it, but mostly they’ll be good ones, because it will mean my husband can relax a little bit. We’ll have breathing room again. Little Scribbler’s adjustment will be difficult, but not impossible.
Even so, I dont think I have the courage to pick an outcome to pray for– stay or leave. I’m going to have to go with praying for the ability to stay calm (believe it or not, I am actually quite high strung, lol), and that His will be done. I have to believe if we’re offered it, we’re supposed to move. And if we’re not, then we’re not. And now we wait…